Monday, September 01, 2008

Labels

Last week I went to the hairdresser, and when I arrived, there was a woman I know from Ben's school. She looked up and said "There's another Yeo Park mum." For some reason I found that rather grating. I don't have a big problem with being known as Ben's mum, but somehow the leap to Yeo Park mum removes way too much of my identity. I am happy to be involved, but really don't want to be defined that way. It was such a strong reaction, my immediate thought was that I need do less with the P&C. Not exactly constructive, but my objection to institutions is pretty strong.

1 comment:

  1. Reading that made a little voice pop into my head saying "a Normo West mum" and I found myself having exactly the same reaction as you. Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard any of the mums from school use the phrase though. I wonder if anyone does.

    ReplyDelete