Monday, December 29, 2008

How Australian am I?

I've been looking through my half written posts and found a few I forgot about. Mim did this one a while ago and I thought it looked like fun.

1. Heard a kookaburra in person We often see them on the way to school.

2. Slept under the stars On NYE 2000, on Cronulla beach, among others.

3. Seen a koala.

4. Visited Melbourne

5. Watched a summer thunderstorm One of the great treats of summer.

6. Worn a pair of thongs

7. Been to Uluru (Ayer's Rock).

8. Visited Cape York

9. Held a snake

10. Sang along with Khe San It's compulsory, as far as I know.

11. Drank VB Unfortunately.

12. Visited Sydney

13. Have seen a shark I'm assuming here that watching the fin after being removed from the water for a shark call counts

14. Have used Aussie slang naturally in a conversation

15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian

16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach

17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Climbed over it illegally before they opened up the Bridge Climb. Nice view from up there.

18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down

19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson's.

20. Slept on an overnight train or bus

21. Been to Sydney's Mardi Gras Only once, but I'd do it again given the oppoortunity.

22. Have gone bush-bashing

23. Taken a sickie I was good at these at school.

24. Been to see a game of Aussie Rules football As a work function, and didn't much enjoy it.

25. Have seen wild camels

26. Gone skinny dipping.

27. Had a Tim Tam Slam I had to look up to confirm exactly what this was, since I didn't call it that at the time. It's a natural extension of bikky dunking.

28. Ridden in a tram in Melbourne

29. Been at an ANZAC day Dawn Service. Only a local one, and only as a kid.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset

31. Held a wombat

32. Been on a roadtrip of 800km or more

33. Seen the Great Australian Bight in person

34. Had a really bad sunburn Oh yes.

35. Visited an aboriginal community - Driven through them, and went to the toilet once, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

36. Seen a redback spider Had a massive one (or dynasty of them - how long do they live?) under our front step when I was a kid.

37. Have watched Paul Hogan

38. Seen Blue Poles in person

39. Wandered barefoot in the bush/outback - I don't think the dash through the bush to the beach counts.

40. Eaten Vegemite

41. Thrown a boomerang Unsuccessfully.

42. Seen the Kimberlies

43. Given a hitch-hiker a lift - Dad did once when I was in the car - again, doesn't count.

44. Been to Perth

45. Have tried Lemon, Lime and Bitters Bleagghhhh

46. Tried playing a didgeridoo

47. Seen dinosaur footprints

48. Eaten Tim Tams

49. Been to Darwin

50. Touched a kangaroo

51. Visted the Great Barrier Reef

52. Listened to Kevin Bloody Wilson

53. Killed a Cane Toad They go POP nicely if you run over them the right way.

54. Gone to a drive-in theatre

55. Have read and own books by Australian authors

56. Visited Adelaide

57. Know the story behind "Eternity"

58. Been camping

59. Visited Brisbane

60. Been in an outback pub I think the Silverton pub outside Broken Hill counts as "outback"

61. Know what the term "Waltzing Matilda" actually means

62. Gone whale watching. But I've seen lots of dolphins.

63. Listened to Slim Dusty

64. Own five or more Australian movies or TV series - I don't own many movies or TV series full stop.

65. Sang along to Down Under Also compulsory - or at least unavoidable.

66. Have stopped specifically to look at an historic marker by the side of the road.

67. Eaten a 4'n'20 pie

68. Surfed at Bondi - I can't surf, but I have swum there, and it ain't my favourite beach...

69. Watched the cricket on Boxing Day Of course.

70. Visited Hobart

71. Eaten kangaroo I've been trying to make it a routine part of our diet recently.

72. Seen a quokka

73. Visited Canberra

74. Visited rainforests

75. Used a Victa lawnmower

76. Travelled on a tram in Adelaide

There's no 77. Why is there no 77?

78. Used a Hills hoist

79. Visited the Olgas

80. Used native Australian plants in cooking

81. Visited the snow

82. Chosen a side in Holden VS Ford We owned a Ford or two when I was a kid, and for some reason I took that side. You'll be pleased to know I grew out of it.

83. Visited the desert. - The Hay plain and the area around Broken Hill is the closest I've got.

84. Been water skiing

85. Read The Phantom

86. Visited Parliament House

87. Gone spotlighting or pig-shooting

88. Crossed the Nullarbor

89. Avoided swimming in areas because of crocodiles (and jellyfish.)

90. Listened to AC/DC.

91. Called someone a dag

92. Voted in a Federal Election

93. Have been swimming and stayed between the flags

94. Had a possum in your roof

95. Visited the outback - as previously mentioned, I've decided Broken Hill counts as outback.

96. Travelled over corrugated roads.

97. Hit a kangaroo while driving - had a few near misses, and my parents hit a big red near Bourke, but I was a baby at the time.

98. Been well outside any mobile phone coverage - not hard to achieve.

99. Seen an emu.

100. Have woken to the smell of bushfires. Not too hard to achieve, one of the times I did this I was about 5km from the CBD of Sydney.

77% apparently - although a lot of it achieved as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment