Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I hate school zones

School is back (yay!) and so are school zones. 3 hours a day when cops sit around waiting for someone to forget what time it is and raise some more dollars.

This morning I needed to drive though seven of them, there were cops sitting 20 feet from the end of one of them. I saw precisely 3 kids within the school zones - 2 of whom were behind 6 foot fences.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with them if:

1. They all had lights and were operated by principals only when required, instead of for a random 90 minute window twice a day.

2. They were not outside high schools

3. It was illegal to park within the school zone, so that visibility of kids crossing the road was maximised.

At our school, for example, it operates, like all of them, from 8am to 9:30am. Kids are not even allowed at the school before 9am. If a child arrives 5 minutes late they are not covered by it. In the afternoon, the school zone starts 55 minutes before the kids come out. Not that it matters there - it is a cul-de-sac and you'd be hard pressed doing more than 40 anyway - but I am guessing it isn't the only one.

Right now it is a revenue raising exercise, and it irritates the crap out of me.

1 comment:

  1. What pisses me off is the ones where I end up looking at my speedo so much I feel like I'm not paying proper attention to the road.

    ReplyDelete