Friday, January 01, 2010

2010

I don't normally do New Year Resolutions (yes, they definitely all need capitals), but I do have one this year. I'm going to make sure there is more music in my house. I have always loved to have music around me, but it's interfered with being able to hear the kids and just generally increased the noise levels in an unpleasant sort of way in the last few years.

However, the youngest is two now, and the eldest is seven. The latter can be relied upon to let me know about the rare tragedy that the former isn't capable of informing me of personally. They can all be booted outside, upstairs or into the front room for long stretches of time. If they don't like it, they have a means of escape.

I have fond memories of the music that was played in my house when I was growing up. I still can't really clean effectively without music playing. Background (or indeed loud) music lifts my mood and makes everything better. I want to share that with my kids. I also want to pass on their musical cultural heritage. I'd like them to know everything from The Beatles to The Herd. It doesn't really matter if they don't pay attention, it'll be lodged there somewhere in their subconscious.

It's a gentle Resolution. It has no moral imperative. It's just a thing I think will make our family a teensy bit cheerier. Anyone else got a Resolution? I have other plans for 2010, but I won't give them the title of Resolution, because they aren't. I might get to blogging about those soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful 2010 filled with music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seconding Mary. I don't have any resolutions this year. Those I can recall for 2007 were to stop swearing and not bite my nails. I still bite my nails, and I wish I didn't, but I've decided I shan't cut out swearing after all - though I no longer fit ten swear words in a sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same to you, MPJ! Or at least, filled with whatever you want it filled with. :) (I haven't read your Word post yet, because I'm copying you and want to write mine before I read yours!)

    @chally: It is nice to be able to make a sentence without using a swear word as every part of speech. Then again, the occasional "fuck the fucking fuckity fuck fuck" is necessary. :) I hope you have a fantastic 2010, you're due a good one.

    ReplyDelete