Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Knitting pics

A very long time ago, I started to teach myself to knit. I did so by knitting garter stitch until I got bored, and then alternating stocking stitch with garter stitch. After about 2 balls of wool, my tension was vaguely reasonable, and I decided the learner project was going to be a scarf for Crash. The only problem was that he wanted it rather long, and it was a rather boring design, so it has taken me until now to finish it. The edges of the thing were a hideous mess, so I turned it into a tube.

This is not a great photo, there was too much light coming off the white background, but there is only so much time I am prepared to spend to photograph a scarf. Still, you can see in the foreground how the scarf widens at the end - that would be the end I started on. You can't see that the other end doesn't widen. I have suggested he wear it with one end in front and one on his back. Anyway, for better or worse, the Very Long Scarf is completed.

Also, some time back I finished the drunk scarf. The only problem is I don't know what to do with it. I don't really need another scarf myself, but this thing is a touch bold, and I'm not convinced anyone would want it as a gift. Nevertheless, I think it's kinda cool.


Current projects include a shawl which I hope to finish before I die, a hat for Ben, which is probably about half done, another shawl which will find a home once I know how big it is, a scarf that had some stitches drop off the needle so I haven't been game to deal with it, a cardigan for Elissa which needs sewing up, and then the edging knitting, and a beaded headband which is waiting only for the elastic to finish it, and has been that way for over a month now.

3 comments:

  1. I soooo wish I could knit properly. I know how to, but don't really have the patience for it.

    I think the 'drunk scarf' looks cool and I'm sure if you gave it as a gift to a friend or family member they'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think that scarf is beautiful! Pretty knitting :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. The drunk scarf may end up on a stall when K.Rudd decides to call an election. Our school always has a fete thingy on election days, and I'm thinking of getting people to contribute to a group hand-made stall.

    I'm back in productive mode now. Ben's hat is finished, and I'm about a quarter of the way through a shrug for me. I really need to find the motivation to sew up the cardigan for Elissa...

    ReplyDelete